Medicare rebates are now available and you will need to visit your GP prior to your therapy session. Your doctor will need to refer you for psychological services under a GP Mental Health Care Plan if you wish to obtain the rebate for up to 10 individual sessions and/or 10 group sessions per calendar year.
- To ensure that your Medicare Rebate is available you must:
- Provide a referral letter stipulating the number of sessions you can have , e.g. six, from your doctor to your first session.
- Provide a copy of your mental health treatment plan prior to your first session.
- Ensure that the referral letter stipulates individual and/or group therapy if you intend on doing group therapy.
- If you are not able to provide the correct paperwork you will not be able to claim the Medicare rebate.
PLEASE NOTE: Psychologists are able to offer you private health fund rebates if you have extras cover. Depending upon your health fund, you may be eligible for rebates for both individual and group therapy. These rebates significantly reduce the cost of your treatment. If you are unsure what your entitlements are, you are advised to check with your health fund before commencing treatment. You cannot claim both your private health fund rebate and your Medicare rebate on the same session.